What to do with spool while winding?

Original poster: "Patrick Bloofon by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <transactoid-at-home-dot-com>

This is kind of a strange question. When winding the secondary, what exactly
does one do with the spool? With most sites I've seen that have winding
details, the person just has the spool on an axle so they can draw the wire
off. I don't see how this is possible. There's no way I can pull my 10 pound
spool without snapping the wire...and if I feed some slack off the spool, it
just gets all twisted up!

Could someone please enlighten me as to how you do it? Am I just way
overcomplicating matters? :)

Thanks,
Patrick