Re: What to do with spool while winding?

Original poster: "Mark Broker by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

Patrick,

I clamped a 1/2" aluminum rod axle to two stools of equal height, and put
the 10 pound spool of 22AWG on it.  It turned pretty good.  But I had
problems with the wire becoming
tangled if I hda to stop or  slow down.  So I drilled a 1/2" hole through a
piece of wood, and ran the wire through the hole.  I clamped the guibe
block about an inch in front of the
spool.  I used a cheap variable speed motor with a counter.  I think it
provided about 10 inch-pounds of torque, but I didn't have the speed about
20%.  I used my right hand with
a cheap work-glove (the cloth kind) to guide the wire onto the secondary
(maybe an inch from the secondary) and my left thumbnail to press the turns
tightly together.  Once it
got up to speed, I was able to put all 1000 turns on the 6.25x30" secondary
in a matter of minutes!  I only had to stop to take a couple pics and to
move the spool of wire down a
bit.

Best of luck,

Mark Broker
The Geek Group's Chief Engineer

Are YOU a member yet?

11-12-2001 12:44:05 PM, "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:

>Original poster: "Patrick Bloofon by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <transactoid-at-home-dot-com>