Re: Triggered Spark Gap

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 11/13/01 9:55:04 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> As for "LEAD BVD's if we were conserned we wouldnt play with
> a TC.
>     Robert   H

Lead not necessary,

> according to my sources. Xray production requires a vacuum environment at
> voltages used in TCs, unless your TC output is above ~ 1.2 MV in a directed
> beam.

see:
1. Roentgenographic Technique, D.A.Rhinrhart, CC Thomas, publ.1943
2. Fundamentals of X-Ray and Radium Physics, 4th ed. J Selman, CC Thomas,publ.
1967
3. Lecture Before The New York Academy of Sciences April 6, 1897, Nikola Tesla,
L.I.Anderson,ed. 21st Century Books 1994.

Using a Geiger-Mueller detector, I have not been able to find any measureable
radiation output even with the tube located three inches beyond the max
streamer length with output ~ 380 kV, nor from the spark gap at a distance of 4
inches. (-at-15KV rms.)
If one is really worried, radiation produced even in a vacuum below 30KV can be
stopped by 0.2 mm thick Aluminum foil.

Hope this helps set some minds at ease,

Matt D.

"Nothing ruins a good discussion like someone with facts" Anon.