Re: G10 -vs- Lexan and SRSG questions

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 11/13/01 1:50:18 PM Central Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  A recent message has made me reconsider if Lexan is a good choice for
> a SRSG rotor.  After making the protective shield from 1/2" Lexan I
> will have a section left over that could be used to make a 6" rotor.
> Is it likely the Lexan will fail when used as a rotor and I should
> instead use 1/2" G10?  Also, why do so many people use such large rotors
> (12" or so)?  I have a 1/2HP motor which will likely be overkill for a
> 6" rotor.  Is there a reason to have a larger rotor?  Is G10 as easy to
> machine (e.g. turn in a lathe to true up the disk) as Lexan?  I will
> be using parallel 15KV NSTs.
>
>  Thanks.
>
> ---
> Kent Vander Velden
> kent-at-iastate.edu

Kent,

I am the one who started this thread about G-10 and I am still using
lexan rotors. I had to replace the lexan stationary electrodes supports
because the flying electrodes had struck the stationary electrodes
while the RSG was  whirling at around 3000  RPMs. This is what
cracked the lexan supports. However, if the electrodes are expected
to exceed around 300 degrees F while in operation, then you probab-
ly should consider G-10. The flying rotory electrodes are not as likely
to get excessively hot as the relative air movement will go a long way
towards keeping them cool.

In a word, G-10 is considerably tougher to work and heavier than lex-
an (a 1/2" X 12" X 24" piece weighs in at 12 lbs). I used a circular saw
with carbide tipped teeth for cutting it and it screemed like a banchy!
I also used titanium tipped drill bits for drilling it.

Hope this helps,
David Rieben