RE: Secondary Coil design

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

I have another observation that may be related.  I've noticed that the
innermost primary turn on my 15/60 NST-powered coil becomes detectably
warmer than other turns.  This after less than a minute of operation.
The primary is my two-layer primary constructed of 1/4" copper tubing.
There are no joints in the vicinity of the warming, and I don't know if
the two-layer design has anything to do with it.  The only explanation
that I can think of is corona between the affected turn and the
secondary, roughly an inch away.  I can't recall if I checked if there
was a similar heating of the lowermost secondary turns.  If 1/4" copper
tubing gets warm, perhaps the impact to a very fine secondary wire may
be more severe.

Gary Lau
MA, USA