RE: Push-pull Tube coil First Light, Plate transformer.

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

Hi Shad

Welding transformers usually have cores that are held together by welded
seams. You can cut through the welded seams easily with a hacksaw or an
abrasive disk. If you can get hold of a big arc welding transformer core
that has an E with an I on top, you can cut through the welded seams to get
the I off the E. Then take several butter knifes and split the E down the
middle. Place the open ends of the two E's together for a big core. After
the coils are placed on the core, you can strap a metal belt around the core
to hold the two E's tightly together. I have held such cores together with a
piece of wood on the top bolted to a piece of wood on the bottom. Thick
hardwood like maple does a good job. As for your VTTC questions, I know
nothing about tube coil. But it seems to me that you would have to get one
heck of an expensive tube to process 5000 watts.

Godfrey Loudner