Re: X Rays

Original poster: "Michael Rhodes by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rhodes-at-fnrf.science.cmu.ac.th>

"In general" is generally correct;-)  However there are many
machines for medical radiation treatment therapy that are
based on Linacs (linear electron accelerators) that do
accelerate the electrons in a vacuum but then the electrons
pass through a thin window into air where they collide with
(usually) a copper converter producing x-rays via bremstrahling
and the x-rays are collimated then enter the patient.  I am
currently converting a 20MeV medical linac into a physics
research accelerator.  Basically any high energy electron (or ion)
whether it is in a vacuum or not striking a high-Z material will
produce x-rays.  You can get more information at my home
page if you are 'really' interested in the details.

http://www.fnrf.science.cmu.ac.th/theory/radiation/index.html

--Michael