Re: How many STSG's in service?

In a message dated 11/26/01 2:39:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> John,
>
>  Good luck with your test - forward me the results if you will. It will be
>  interesting to see whether or not your results are similar to mine. How are
>  you planning on feeding pulses to the ignition coil? Are you going to use a
>  zero crossing chip run off a phase shifter and a FET setup or the good old
>  mechanical way like me :)

Jason,

Your mechanical method is an excellent test method, and I should
probably use it.  Since I have just about everything set up for
the lamp-dimmer method, I'll probably try that first.  I'm not sure
if it will give enough phase range.  (I wonder how many folks
using TSG's are running at the extreme end of their phase-range,
suggesting that more range may benefit them?)   I'm using
silver-faced electrodes which I had good results with at low
powers, but I'm not sure how they'll work with the TT-42.
The trigger electrode is a piece of 1/8" dia tungsten.   I also
have the parts for a 555 based controller for comparison.
I'm not sure if I'll need blown air, or an air blast.  I don't have
much experience with single wide gaps.

The rotary power-arcing at higher break-rates is not something
I studied very much, since I didn't seem to have much trouble
with it.  But it's possible it was happening slightly in some of my coils
and I wasn't aware of it.  It's probably an area that deserves
more research.

Cheers,
John