Re: Attaching Toroid to Secondary

Original poster: "R Heidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>

on 11/27/01 8:00 AM, Tesla list at tesla-at-pupman-dot-com wrote:

> Original poster: "Bill Vanyo by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <vanyo-at-echoes-dot-net>
>
> I'm no expert, but here's what I did:  First, the upper endcap is two
> layers of plastic, with plywood in between,  The outer plastic piece has
> a 3/8" bolt through the center, pointing up.  The plywood has a shallow
> whole drilled in it to accomadate the bolt head.  The whole assembly -
> the plastic-wood-plastic sandwich and bolt, are epoxied together.  Now,
> two washers are placed on the bolt, followed by a nut.  The top lead of
> the coil is wound several times around the bolt between the washers - I
> try to arrange it as a sort of flat pancake spiral between the washers.
> The nut is tightened, and I seal the outside edge of the gap between the
> washers with epoxy.
>
> Now, with the 3/8" bolt sticking up, you can attach the toroid directly,
> or you can attach a 3/8" threaded rod connector (avaialable in hardware
> stores -  they're like elongated nuts, about an inch long), and a piece
> of 3/8" threaded rod of whatever length you like.
>
> If your end cap is already in place, I wouldn't try melting anything
> into the plastic.  A good two part epoxy will work much better.
>
> Tesla list wrote:
>>
>> Original poster: "Patrick Bloofon by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <transactoid-at-home-dot-com>
>>
>> I'm thinking of heating a nut and melting it right into my plastic end cap
>> (being careful to not break through it, of course). Then I can attach a
> bolt to
>> my toroid and screw it right into the nut.
>>
>> The problem I see with this is that the height of the toroid won't be
>> adustable, and I'm not sure how I'd attach the secondary wire.
>>
>> How do all you guys attach your toroids to your secondaries?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Patrick.

I JUST PUT A 1/4 IN BRASS TOILET BOLT INSIDE AN ELECTRIC FENCE INSULATOR. I
PUT A SOLDER CONNECTOR ON THE BOLT, SOLDER MY SECONDARY WIRE to the solder
connector and epoxy everything to my secondary cap. My toroid just bolts to
the insulator on top my secondary. No trouble at all.
    Robert  H