Charging Inductor

Original poster: "Mike Nolley by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <nolleym-at-willamette.edu>

I was interested in the talk recently about using Mots as charging
inductors. Would
removing the primary, or removing the shunts at all affect performance?   In
addition, if the core were to be gapped, how much should it be gapped to
maintain
the necessary inductance?  If you weren't going to take the time to grind
off the
weld beads and insert gaps, how would stringing multiple Mots together
affect the
charging inductor characteristics, and the insulation requirements?  I
would think
you'd need a Mot for every 2kv of the average power supply voltage, but I
could be
mistaken.  Thanks.
            --Mike