Re: TSG beginner Questions

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 05:02 PM 28/11/01 -0700, you wrote:

>Original poster: "Patrick Bloofon by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <transactoid-at-home-dot-com>

>Just a few questions regarding triggered spark gaps for a beginner...
>
>1) This is my first coil and I just want to get sparks...do they work
>considerably better than an RQ spark gap?  They do seem easier to build...

Yes, they do work better and are definately easier to build.  I speak
from personal experience on this.

>2) I'm was looking at this site and it had a nice simple TSG:
><http://www.fortunecity-dot-com/meltingpot/syria/1210/id42.htm>http://
>www.fortunecity-dot-com/meltingpot/syria/1210/id42.htm
>What is a "motor run capacitor" and do I really need one?

Most larger electric motors use both RUN and START capacitors in
their normal operation.  The RUN caps have fairly low uF. values
and most are in metal cans.  The START caps are high in uF. value
and generally in a black plastic-type can.  Use only RUN caps in
the TSG configuration, and yes you do need one.

>3) What does the dimmer switch do?  How does it control the SG?

The dimmer determines when the trigger pulse "fires" to basically
allow you to time your main gap firing for optimum performance.

>4) Do I still have to adjust the spacing between the gaps?  It seems
>to me that setting the initial gap spacing would be difficult.

Yes you do, but it's quite easy to do.  Connect only your transformer
to the main electrodes of the TSG and slowly open up the gap until it
just doesn't fire, without the trigger pulses applied to the trigger
electrode.  Then turn on the trigger, and it should fire reliably.

>5) Finally, is there a way to test the TSG? Like could I wire up a cap
>and my NST to it just to generate sparks? (ie, tank circuit minus the
>primary and secondary).

You can remove the secondary for tests, but since the primary is part
of the tank circuit (the gap, cap, and primary are the 3 parts of it)
you will need it for tests.

>BTW, I will be using a 15/30 NST for starters (with plans to upgrade)
>and 8 SW caps.
>
>Thanks,
>Patrick

Good luck with your TSG.  I'm sure others will have comments to offer
you as well.  Study them all, then go with the best and what works!
There's lots of details on several sites, but www.hot-streamer-dot-com
has pretty well everything you need.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+