Triggered spark gap resistors

Original poster: "Paul Arrowsmith by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <p_t_arrowsmith-at-hotmail-dot-com>

I am about to build a triggered spark gap as per the excellent instructions
posted by Ted, except for a few changes as I will be using 240V 50Hz here in
Australia.
The very low value resistance across the output of the fan speed controller
does seem severe to me and I am concerned about putting a near short circuit
on the output of the dimmer. I saw that there was a lot of posts about this
but did not catch any resolution to this problem.
Can someone please update me on the correct resistor value and position in
the circuit.
Thanks in advance, Paul A.