RE: sound question

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

I fully agree that without a primary inductor, the cap may be
overstressed due to high discharge currents.  But the spark gap will
limit the maximum cap/NST voltage in the same way that it does in a
normal configuration, so over-volting things is not an issue.  I once
did some coil testing where I didn't want to have my primary or
secondary hooked up, and instead wired in a series-pair of 500W halogen
lamps in place of the primary as a dummy load.  Of course, it you omit
the spark gap, then you're REALLY asking for trouble...

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

>Original poster: "Alex Crow by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<alexcrow-at-blueyonder.co.uk>

>Whoa!
>
>*Don't* connect your SG and cap on their own to the NST. Aside from
resonant
>rise possibly overvolting both NST and cap, the current of those bangs
can
>destroy the cap's internal connections in short order. You need a load
- eg a
>Tesla Coil - to limit the current!
>
>Alex

>>On Monday 01 October 2001 05:58, Tesla list wrote:
>> Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
>> <RQBauzon-at-aol-dot-com>
>>
>> Just yesterday, some guys at a neon sign shop allowed me to take a
look
>> at their NST's.  There were lots of them piled up the floor.  I took
one,
>> it was a 15/30.  It was my first "real" NST.  I connected it to my
spark
>> gap and cap, and when i turned it on, it sounded like heck on earth.
It