CA listers: State Science Fair needs volunteers to refine Judging & Project Policies

Original poster: "Hall, Dale by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Dale.Hall-at-trw-dot-com>

Sounds like there've alot of "beefs".

Step up and do something in your district to make it better!!

I have been a County & State Judge for the past 17 years.

LACSF & CSSF do a very respectable job, each Judging ~1000 projects each year.

Multiple Judges moderate individual interests and opinions.

Science, Methodology (controls), and Creative involvement are rewarded.

Calif. creativity:
  Heathers Bowens fiber optic heart & respiration monitor
  http://www.usc.edu/CSSF/History/1990/S08.html#S0803
  an original idea to avoid neonatal entanglement in wires: designed sensor
in pad the baby lays on.

There are infrequent TC project's at the fairs (1 every other year avg):
  Those that just build a TC without doing scientific data collection,
display & interpretation
  or those that just present a research paper (without original research),
do not win awards.

  Those demonstrating scientific methodology, test measurement, control,
    insightful conclusions, original thinking, creative involvement and
    offer value via interpretation, dissemination of that learned, WIN Awards.
	Matt Behrend "Differential Equation Model of the TC" LACSF, CSSF 99,
      Troye Welch "Transmitting Power with Tesla Coils"
	  http://www.usc.edu/CSSF/History/1993/CatWin_S07.html
	Dumm, Christopher J. "The Tesla Coil"
	  http://www.usc.edu/CSSF/History/1995/CatWin_J06.html
	Adair, David T. "Effects of a Magnetic Field on an Electron Beam"
        (TC as exciter)

There are difficulties relating to rules, variation in Judges opinion of
same project,
 but without rules there would be no control
 (fair desires minimal liability and that does close the box a bit on
creativity)
 but as in life, there are rules and consequences

consider volunteering to help with the fair in your County & State,

then Mentor someone to learn more & win awards at the Fair !