RF Chokes

Original poster: "Mr Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

Hey everyone,

Seeing as though I just blew a neon I want to make a decent RF choke to
protect them. I've seen many different designs, from 500 turn air cored
chokes to 20 turn ferrite cored to 15 turn air cored. What is the best
design? Is it possible to have an RF choke that is too big? I've been
using 20 turns around a 2" ferrite toroid. I was thinking of adding
more turns and using a bigger core. Is this a good idea? What is a
general design rule I can follow?

Greg.