Re: capacitors

Hi Greg,
         My experience with banks of PP caps is that they perform as
well as any caps you could otherwise obtain. I used to roll extended
foil caps using polyethylene sheeting (same ballpark losses as PP)
and kitchen grade Al foil. On switching to the multi-PP caps, I got
sparks that were a little hotter and a little longer for the same
input power. The only significant difference between the two was a
lack of corona in the caps (the rolled caps were dry-fired). It is
imporant that you use plenty of strings in parallel to give high
discharge currents with low I^2R losses in the cap as a whole.

Regards,
Malcolm

On 6 Oct 2001, at 11:28, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Mr Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>