Re: Ball Lightning

Original poster: "R Heidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>

on 10/08/01 5:06 PM, Tesla list at tesla-at-pupman-dot-com wrote:

> Original poster: "Michael H Nolley by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <nolleym-at-willamette.edu>
>

>> Yep.
>> Corums cite Faradays Natural History of a Candle.
>> They speculated that Tesla's use of rubber insulated wire
>> led to 'seeding' effects, which helped towards Ball Lightning.
>> The BL field is still pretty wide open...
>
> There is quite a lot of interesting information on the web about
> ball-lightning
> theories and experiments.  It seems that genuine ball lightning isn't as
> much affected
> by carbon seeding as by very specific magnetic and current conditions.
> Paul Koloc has
> done some pretty amazing research on ball-lightning-like plasmoids, and he
> uses
> transmission line techniques and a very specific field shaping coil and
> electrode to
> produce egg-sized plasmoids.  His sites are at www.plasmak-dot-com and
> www.prometheus-dot-net.
> There was also some research done by Japanese scientists who connected
> microscopic
> ball lightning phenomena to electrolysis using platinides as electrodes
> (nickel, silver,
> platinum, palladium, etc.)  Platinum was once used in a chemical
> interrupter called the
> Wenhelt interrupter--the book I read never specified how it worked.  I
> speculate that in
> high current electrolysis the "Wenhelt" effect causes high rise-time
> current spikes
> which could be responsible for the ball-lightning effect observed.  Sorry
> for the long
> off-topic post.  Anyone who is interested in this subject can e-mail me
> with questions
> or comments.
> --Mike

Ihave no input on the subject, but I would like to experiment in the subject
if anyone has any useful information on ball lightning generation..
     Robert H.
"R Heidlebaugh" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>