Another use for TSGs

Original poster: "S & J Young by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <youngs-at-konnections-dot-net>

Greetings,

Just for fun and diversion from Tesla coils, I tried out a triggered Jacob's
ladder.  The idea was to be able to use a MOT but not need to have the
ladder elements spaced so close for the 2 KV to jump across.  The narrow end
spacing was 3/8 to 1/2 inch.  Trigger was a pulse generator driving an
ignition coil.  No doubt a dimmer-cap driver would work just as well.

It works, the arc is a lot more impressive than from a NST.  As expected,
the MOT draws nearly 20 amps, even with the input voltage only 80 volts, and
gets warm fairly quickly.  More current limiting is needed, such as another
MOT in series with secondary shorted.  Once the arc initiates and starts
traveling up the "ladder", additional triggering pulses have little or no
effect.

Perhaps someone else can see if one can make a triggered Jacob's ladder