RE: why 4 Ohms in PARALLEL with trigger coil primary?

Original poster: "Ted Rosenberg by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Ted.Rosenberg-at-radioshack-dot-com>

Hi Scott and thanks for the compliment.
I have some answers for you but please understand, as I said in the paper, I
was the technician. Marc and Terry Fritz deserve the "why" rewards!

I originally had the 4 ohms in-line. the resistors got SO hot that they
would have burned the wood etc etc. I desparately e-mailed Terry as Marc was
unavailable. After some discussion, Terry suggested the new position
and...it works. I really can't give you a better reason. Sorry. Perhaps you
might ask Terry about that. Who knows, I might learn something  :))

I do not own an oscope although I can borrow one.
I had to get this coil into the Hangman's House of Horrors and I was running
out of time. So all seriosu tweaking, checking with scope, adding welders
glass etc, will have to wait until the coil returns home after Oct 31.

As for the Fan vs Lamp control...while I don't have my ring binder here at
the office with my notes, I seem to recall that Terry compared one against
the other and found the fan control more robust. And the cost is essentially
close.

Hope I've been of some help.
The gap itself is, by all standards, almost a no brainer to build and use.
If you can install a lightswitch in a house and solder a kit together from
RadioShack, you can build it. No more salient motors.

Regards

Ted