Re: 15" coil project

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi all,
  Like Robert, I have some doubts as to the validity of the comparison too.
The 28g coil would obviously have a much lower resonant freq than a 20g coil
wound on the same form.  In order to tune the 20g coil, I suspect that you
reduced the number of primary turns(as opposed to using a smaller cap).  Would
this not reduce the primary coil's inductive reactance(and impedance)
considerably?   The resulting increase in the primary current would cause more
I^2R loss through the gap.
  It would seem that the best comparison would be to have to coils with equal
primary inductance and capacitance.  This would require the secondary with the
thicker wire to be larger in diameter and that there still may be an issue with
coupling, but without doing that, it seems like comparing apples and oranges.
Mike