Re: True solid state Tesla coil

In a message dated 10/22/01 9:17:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> HI, has anyone had any success with a TRUE solid state tesla coil?Im not
>  talking flyback transformer stuff.I mean banks of MOSFETS and a hand wound
>  primary and secondary.How hard is it to build one?How much is the cost?Im
>  going for a SMALL one.1 inch sparks is very acceptible provided the
circuit
>  is simple.Any help is GREATLY appreciated!
>
>  Thank you,
>  Matt Gibson(fucian)

Matt,

A number of folks have build true solid state TC's.  Duane
Bylund built one and the article was published in a magazine
a number of years ago.  It gave a 7" spark, and a heavy duty
version gave 12" sparks.  Gary Johnson build a giant SSTC
which gave 60" sparks.  Also Richie Burnett built an SSTC
which gave 16" sparks or so.  Also, Ken Herrick build an SSTC
which gives 3 or 4 foot sparks.  There may be others that I
can't remember offhand.  Each person's design is different.
None are real simple or cheap to build.

Cheers,
John