RE: JHCTES Programs was (15" coil project)

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-telocity-dot-com>

Malcolm -
I was sorry to hear that you are not an advocate of TC programs because I
have used some of your test data to make my programs possible.

I would agree that some TC programs are sophisticated calculator programs.
The JHCTES Ver 3.1 and many other TC programs are of this type. They use
standard equations and produce a number of outputs saving the coiler a lot
of work. There is now another type of TC program that is available, one that
not only uses the standard equations but also empirical equations based on
test data from real world coils.

An empirical equation for Tesla coils requires the building and testing of
many coils and the processing of this data to modify the theoretical
equations. This is what has been done with the JHCTES Ver 3.3 program and
why I have requested coilers to send me their test data. I am indebted to
many coilers who have been kind enough to send me their data and make my
programs possible. The Ver 3.3 is under continuous change to make it conform
with the latest data available. The results to date have been encouraging.

It is interesting to note that the Ver 3.1 can be a sort of empirical
program because the sec term capacitance input can be changed to agree with
the actual test capacitance by adjusting the pf so the actual operating
frequency shows in the outputs. You might call this instant empirical
processing. I think that Terry's ETesla6 program is based only on
theorectical equations but he may have modified the program because it
apparently gives very good results for the sec term.

Malcolm, thanks for demolishing the old wirelength idea to which I think you
are referring. That also helped my programs. I would also be interested in
your Toroid program.

John Couture