Re: Printing Digital Camera pictures

Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Hi Paul

>From personal experience, I'd say an Epson Stylus.  I've worked with
both A4 and A3 format Stylus printers and have been very impressed with
the results.  (I've also worked with Canon and HP colour inkjets.)  The
ones that I have worked with have been ordinary four colour units (CMYK)
although the Stylus Photo range uses six - no experience there.

My wife works with a thermal transfer printer which is used for
producing print-to-print copies of photographs.  This system, produced
by Kodak, prints as close as you'll get to "wet process" (in other
words, directly to film).  I did a comparison between the Kodak and my
Stylus 680 running slowest speed/highest quality and using glossy,
photo-quality paper.  A professional (my wife) might fault it (the
colour balance was out a tad), but it looked pretty good to me!

What you could do is put an image on floppy/CD and take it down to your
local printer store and get them to print it out on a selection of
machines - if they are using ordinary copier paper work on the
assumption that photo-quality will be 10^8 times better!

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Matthew Smith

PS - Alternative is to by a Noritsu photo printer which can accept
floppy, CD, compact flash, 35mm neg, - if you've got $100,000 to spare
that is ;-)

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Paul Kidwell by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tmb-at-ieee-dot-org>