RE: New Coil

Original poster: "Ted Rosenberg by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Ted.Rosenberg-at-radioshack-dot-com>

Hello Robert:

My first secondary was built using a 6" diameter by 30" long tube of
Plexiglas.
The transparency of the material when your copper wire is wound is kind of
nice looking. But I have learned some things I don't like about it. First,
it does not hold polyurethane coats well. The coating can actually flake
off.
Secondly, if you drop it, the tube fractures easily. In my case, I dropped
it from 10 feet onto concrete. No, I don't expect others to do the dumb
thing I did that resulted in the loss but it is more fragile, IMHO.
Lastly...very expensive. The tube cost me $75. Compare that with $10 for the
same thing in PVC and I got 5 Feet more length with the PVC!

Consisder bulding a secondary winder too!

But now that you have the potential for a 15KV/60ma power, I suggest
starting by running some numbers through the various web based calculation
programs. I prefer Bart Anderson's Java Script.
His website is
http://www.classictesla-dot-com/sitemap.html

And, of course, check the pupman archives.
My new coil using a 15KV/60ma NST and Marc Metlicka's trigger gap and an LTR
MMC of .028µF is producing decent 3.5 to 4 foot streamers. and it's probably
not perfectly tuned either.

Safety First (saws and drill presses)

Ted