Re: Reactive power: was Re: MOT help

Hi Jason,

I am not sure I can explain this with an E-mail.  It takes a lot of arm
waving :-))

But basically, reactive components (capacitors and inductors) do not
dissipate energy (heat) but they store energy and they do draw current.  If
you place a 100uF motor run cap across the AC line, it draws:

Rc = 1 / (2 x pi x 60 x 100e-6) = 26.52 ohms

120 / 26.52 = 4.52 amps

It does not get hot but the current is there and it will blow a 3 amps
fuse.  If you add a 20 ohm resistor to this in parallel, you will draw 6
amps through it too.  The total current is SQRT (4.52^2 + 6^2) = 7.51 amps.
 If you add an inductor, it operates in the opposite way as the capacitor
and it will reduce the current by nullifying the capacitors current.

From a sine wave point of view, the resistor draws current at zero degrees,
the inductor draws current 90 degrees latter and the cap draws current 90
degrees sooner.

When we add PFC caps, we are nullifying the NSTs inductance with the cap to
remove this unneeded current.

It could get unbelievably complex from here, especially in a TC where the
spark gap effects screw up the nice steady state sine wave equations for
such things, but that is the basic idea.

Cheers,

	Terry