Re: disruptor coil (was electrolytic caps)

Original poster: "Michael H Nolley by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <nolleym-at-willamette.edu>

>   Telsa indicated that a disruptor coil could be used in the place of a spark
> gap to create a disruptive discharge.

    The disruptive discharge coil was Tesla's early attempt at an air core
resonator.  It also used a spark gap, or an high frequency alternator, as you
said.  Tesla's particular design may have permitted the use of the alternator
instead of the spark gap, but the coil itself wouldn't have replaced it.
    However, there are ways to use mechanical interrupters in place of
spark gaps
for use on lower frequency coils such as ignition coils.  The output tends
to be
very iffy, but it works.  This is how I got started in hv--I wired an
electromechanical buzzer in series with a battery and a low voltage transformer
wired backwards.  The contraption managed to get me sent to the principal's
office
after I showed it off in the halls of my middle school.
            --Mike