Question on Transformers

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <TeraJoule-at-aol-dot-com>

Hello.

    I am new to coiling, and I am looking to build a small coil first.  I
looked to my high school physics department today.  They have an unlabeled
transformer that takes D.C. and makes it A.C.  I put 7 volts at 3 amps into
it and the resulting voltage was able to jump a 1cm-2cm air gap.  I am
assuming it produces over 3,000 volts because of the dielectric break-down of
air.  My problem lies in the fact that I do not know the cycles per second or
even the exact voltage it produces.  I was wondering if perhaps there were a
few assumptions I could make to determine the capacitor size I would need for
the TC.  Thank you very much for your time.

~Alex