Re: TSG Advantages?

Original poster: "Luc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ludev-at-videotron.ca>

Hi Marc, list,

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

> Tesla list wrote:
> >
> > Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>
> >
> > In a message dated 8/31/01 12:57:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>
> > Are you saying that the benefits of the fast quench of the TSG
> > may outweigh the greater losses from the long gap, especially
> > when considering the possibilities for tighter coupling?  Yes,
> > that is possible, and we'll see.
>
> I'm wondering if it could be an issue of the trigger pulse adding the
> needed energy to maintain the arc channel while it is firing? I realize
> that the current isn't that high (maybe Terry or  Mark could put there
> pearson on the trigger lead so that we would get an idea of the trigger
> currents?) but the voltage is higher then the tank voltages, Since
> voltage is "the speed of the river" the electrons of the triggered pulse
> would move faster then the tank voltages. I'm wondering if it could be
> that while the tanks energy is oscillating back and forth, the triggered
> pulse is holding a path open so that it doesn't have to reform an arc
> path to travel?
> I've seen that adjusting the dimmer not only moves the pulse point down
> the sine wave, But also changes the "time" that the trigger pulse is on.
> Also when my dc pwm circuit was running, it liked longer pulse
> duration's then short. I can't see any reason why this would effect the
> output, Because we would assume that once the arc channel in the gap is
> produced it should maintain itself until enough energy drains from the
> tank to shut it off? But what we actually see is that for some reason
> the efficiency is brought up if the tank energy has a "path" to follow
> that is pre made (or close to pre made)?
> Would it be possible to rectify the 120 vac driver pulse coming from the
> dimmer, Then use a transistor to turn each driver pulse into a higher
> frequency pulse? I'm thinking that if the triggered pulse could be made
> at a high frequency, Then the tanks arc path would have an even more
> continuous path to follow?

That's exactly why I planed to use a flyback circuit for my TSG;
the possibility of adjusting the time the trigger is on and I
think ( not sure about that ) the spark channel should be wider
with a rf pulse. An other thing; if you have your trigger
electrode out of the way of the main electrode, rf should make
more field distortion???

I progress in the construction of my TSG; if you remember I use
ring of pure tungsten for electrode surface, I finally braze
these ring to copper cap with hard silver solder, not easy, pure
tungsten is more difficult to braze than cabbed from my
experience, may be the nickel or cobalt matrice in carbide eased
the brazing.

Cheers,

Luc Benard