TSG Configuration

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Dear List,

I did a little research on the TSG (couch potato
style, on the internet). I came across some commercial
sites including EG&G and others. The most common
drawing I saw used two main electrodes facing each
other across an air (or other gas) gap, with a slender
trigger electrode located coaxially inside one of the
main electrodes. The trigger electrode appeared to be
inside an insulated sheath, with the business end of
it brought flush with a hole in the face of the main
electrode. This suggests that the trigger spark would
only need jump a very short distance to the edge of
the hole in the main electrode, and this somehow
triggers the main gap. Is this field distortion, or
some other mechanism such as ion flooding? How come
home brew spark gaps and commercially made spark gaps
are so different from each other? The physical
arrangement doesn't even seem related.

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg