Re: winding the secondary

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Jeff,

I've wound more than a couple of secondaries on PVC
pipe, and I've come to believe that it's a waste of
time and money to expend lots of effort preparing a
PVC pipe coil form. I "prepare" mine by running some
hot water in the tub and scrubbing the PVC inside &
out with a green scrunge pad and some liquid dish
soap. I remove every last trace of printing, dirt,
oil, etc., dry it off, and let it air dry over night.
I put two or three coats of sealer on the windings to
lock the turns in place and to make it easier to keep
clean. I've tried clear (brush-on, oil-based) gloss
urethane, clear gloss spray acrylic, and clear gloss
spray enamel. I can't tell any difference between
these products--they all work fine. It is not
neccesary to sand out every little scratch & ding--the
wire is going to cover those up anyway. I've liberated
PVC pipe scraps from trash bins at job sites, so I
know about scratched up PVC. It's not a problem.

Best Regards,

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg