Re: winding the secondary

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Janet Johnson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jpjmassage-at-earthlink-dot-net>

> Hi list,
> I am getting ready to wind my secondary and I have been reading different
> approaches.  Brent Turner's book says if you use a plastic (PVC) pipe, just
> sand it and clean it, wind it and seal it with "several light coats of a
spray
> acrylic or lacquer."  So he doesn't say it's necessary to seal it before
> winding it.  Richard Quick on the other hand, says to bake it in an oven
> overnight after wet sanding it and then coat it with polyurethane for several
> hours before winding it.  My questions: if you just dry sand the pvc do you
> need to worry about drying it?  How smooth does it need to be (I haven't
gotten
> all the scratches and nicks out of it after sanding it quite a lot)?  Do you
> coat it again after winding?

Jeff,
I use poly box tape wrapped around the coilform inverted, (sticky side
out).
This not only creates a seal between the windings and the form, but it
holds the wire VERY well.
Take care,
Marc M.