Re: New Coil Design

In a message dated 9/5/01 9:50:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>      John,
>      I have recently heard that there is a limitation of secondary width to
>  height ranging form 1:3 through 1:5 . That would make the desingn you
>  suggested for the 2.5 inch diamtere by 17inch tall impossible. I wondered
if
>  you looked over this fact or if it would work , regardless of the ratio?
>       Ben

Ben,

You can go as far as 1:6 or higher.  There is no rigid limitation.
But if the coil is too tall and skinny, it can be hard to get tight enough
coupling.  However, since you plan to use the close wound #10wire type
primary... this tends to tighten the coupling, so it should work out.
These kinds of things are not generally that critical.  You may want
to use a 3" diameter form instead, but it probably won't make much
difference.

John