Big Coil, small transformer Blues....

Original poster: "Carlo Latasa by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <carlo23-at-pacbell-dot-net>

So,

my pole pig is on it's way and life for my coil should be good. It's a
15.5'' x 50" secondary with 537 turns and a .09uF / ~5 turn primary. The
thing is that I've tried to run it with a 15Kv 150ma NST and was shocked
at how wimpy the sparks that came out of it were.Considering that the
reactance of a .09uF cap at 60 Hz is around 30kohms which demands about
.5 A from my transformer, I'm not surprized that it's under powered. But
we are talking only one foot sparks. Could it be that I'm way off my
resonant frequency or is this common behaviour for an underpowered
coil.  Has anyone ever tried this?

Carlo-