Re: A simple question, and the prevention of a VERY expensive mistake.

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 9/6/01 2:50:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:
snip--

> This is a simple question, but if I order the wrong thing it's a serious
> pain in the but, and sponsors get VERY upset if they spend a bunch of money
> to give you something and you don't give them results.
>
> We're winding 6 tubes, all for use as secondaries.
>
> 3 tubes of 12"PVC (it's actually a little bigger I think as I believe 12"
> is
> the ID) Each winding will be 6' long.
>
> 3 tubes of 24"dia and 110" long.
>
> I need to know reccomended wire sizes (and why you reccomend that size),
> length, and most importantly, WEIGHT IN POUNDS (don't forget to add 3% to
> the copper weight for insulation) as they are donating the wire to us by
> guage/pound, not length.
>
> This will make possible our new BIG coils, the twins and allow us to do
> work
> into Tripolar coils (hence the extra secondaries for each coil).

snip---

Hi duck,
        The answer to your question depends, of course on many more
parameters than you have specified. However, here are a few possible ranges,
based on what you have said.( ASSUMING you really do mean coil length and not
form length). These numbers are approximate for illustration purposes only.

For each 12" x 72"  coil:
500 turns of 8ga single build wire 79 lbs/coil          DC resistance 987 Ohms
1000 turns of 14ga single build wire 40 lbs/coil     DC resistance 8 KOhms
1500 turns of 17ga single build wire 30 lbs/coil     DC resistance 24.3 KOhms
2000 turns of 20ga single build wire 20 lbs/coil     DC resistance 65 KOhms
2500 turns of 22ga single build wire 15.5 lbs/coil DC Resistance 129 KOhms

For each 24" x 110"  coil:
500 turns of 4ga single build wire 399 lbs/coil          DC resistance 781
Ohms
1000 turns of 10ga single build wire 199 lbs/coil     DC resistance 6.4 KOhms
1500 turns of 13ga single build wire 149 lbs/coil     DC resistance 19.2 KOhms
2000 turns of 16ga single build wire 100 lbs/coil     DC resistance 51.5 KOhms
2500 turns of 22ga single build wire 78.5 lbs/coil   DC Resistance 102 KOhms

As you can see there is quite a range of possibilities. If you can be more
specific, then I can give you a tighter range. I personally would not want to
have to build three 400+lb coils. It could make you very Truss-worthy. ;-)

Matt D.
G-3 #1085