Re: Capacitor decision

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>Original poster: "Steve White by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><slwhite-at-zeus.ia-dot-net>
>
>I am building a pig-powered coil (5 KVA). My design will require a
>capacitance
>of 0.06 uf. I currently own 2 Maxwell 0.03 uf capacitors which I plan to
>parallel to obtain 0.06 uf. Each cap is rated at 35 KV. I think that this
>is
>marginal. I can do one of two things to boost the voltage rating. I can
>obtain
>6 more Maxwells ($$$) of 0.03 uf and connect the resulting 8 caps in
>series-parallel to obtain 0.06 uf at 70 KV. My second option is to run my
>current two Maxwells until failure if it happens. At that point, I can
>build an
>MMC array for a lot less than 6 more used Maxwells. Does anyone have
>experience
>with MMC arrays powered from pigs? Can they take it? Suggestions welcome.

5kVA...that's a baby pig...piglet perhaps?

Robin was, I believe, the first to use MMC type caps with a pig system, and
they work great. They also happen to be the same brand and type as Geek
Group MMC caps (though he got them long before we sold them). Geek Group MMC
caps, in a properly designed setup will work fine with a pig. We've used
them with 10kVA here on several occasions.

duck

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group