Re: Modeling Secondary Inductance

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Rscopper-at-aol-dot-com>

You have some good questions.  I haven't read Brent's book, but I'll tell you
about WinTesla formulas.

The formulas in WinTesla are a collection from 4+ years of Tesla list
conversations, I tried not to discount anyone's ideas and include all the
models.  I did this because there isn't one "grand unified theory" on Tesla
coil modeling.  Some items that make sense for a small coil seem to go south
with a large coil.  Many items are hard (or impossible) to measure and prove,
so emperical data is all we have to work with.

For example, it seems that everyone's primary transformer is different, so a
model for a distribution transformer doesn't fit for a neon sign transformer.
If one person uses speaker "Monster Cable" to make a secondary, and one uses
silver plated wire wrap wire, and another uses double formvar Essex magnet
wire, the model is different.  The formulas don't have models for various
secondary forms - damp cardboard tube will have different properties than SCH
80 PVC pipe.  The models don't correct for temperature and humidity either.
They are only a starting point to help "tune" the coil.  My measurements have
NEVER exactly matched any formulas to date.

Feel free to come up with your own theories and post them for the rest of us.
High voltage and plasma arc science isn't very black and white.  If it was,
we'd all be riding levitating scooters running on fusion reactors (and I WANT
one of those!).

You'll probably get a bunch of comments on this topic.

R. Scott Coppersmith