Re: MOT+NST=???

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 9/18/01 8:51:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> <RQBauzon-at-aol-dot-com>
>
> ok, i find that the 20mA output on my NST and uA output from my flyback is
> quite weak.  if i put an MOT in parallel with any of these transformers,
> would the NST secondary, overwhelmed by 500mA from the from the MOT, burn???
>
>                                                        thanx guys,

Hi Me,
        The current differences in parallel transformers is not going to create
a problem. HOWEVER, the output Voltage differences may well cause difficulties.
Most MOTs are in the 2kV-6kV range, while NST are 9 kV to 15 kV, and flybacks
are usually 10 kV to 35 kV.
The secondary of the lower voltage transformer will appear as a load across the
higher voltage one. With two mis-matched transformers, his results in (V1-V2)^2
/R being dissipated as heat inside the transformer. With three transformers,
the formula is more complicated but the result is more internal heating.

Hope this helps,

Matt D.