Re: Question about using Mots as a pig ballast

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 9/20/01 9:49:26 PM Central Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> I hate ASCII art, but I'll give it a try to illustrate:
>
> ----+-----MOT--------MOT-----MOT---MOT----+----
>    |   |     |    |     |                |
>    |   \-SW1-/    \-SW2-/                |
>    |                                     |
>    +----------------SW3-----MOT---MOT----+
>    |                                     |
>    +----------------SW4-----MOT---MOT----+
>    |                                     |
>    +----------------SW5-----MOT---MOT----+
>
> OK, I hope this turns out. The idea is that with SW1 thru SW5 open, you wind
> up with 4 MOTs in series.
>
> Closing SW1 gives me 3 MOTs in series.
>
> Closing SW1 & SW2 gives me 2 MOTs in series.
>
> Closing SW1 thru SW3 parallels 2 sets of seriesed MOTs.
>
> Closing SW1 thru SW4 parallels 3 sets of seriesed MOTs.
>
> Closing SW1 thru SW5 parallels 4 sets of seriesed MOTs.
>
> You'll notice that I have a minimum of 2 MOTs in series. That's because the
> MOTs I have are from 120V ovens and I'm planning on using this in a 240V
> system.
>
> Oh, my question?
>
> Simply stated, Will this work???
>
> Paul

Paul,

As long as you remember to short the secondary on each
of the MOTs, it will work. I'm not sure why you would want
to have the option to choke the pig's input thru as many
as 4 seriesed MOTs. I would to just opt for the SW3 thru
SW5 / MOT configuration for pig ballasting. You are on
the right track, though :-)

David Rieben,
Memphis, TN, USA