Re: Death Row HV Question

Original poster: "Sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

Hi All, Richard,

  I think the electric chair (Ole' Sparky here in FL) is only a couple of
KV, but several amps.  In a note here, think about this. An unballasted MOT
is about 1/2 the power you'd see in the electric chair.  Unfortunately,
there is no "Half-Lethal".

   The most dangerous shock you can get is from your head to your feet, it
hits both your noodle and ticker.  Next most dangerous would be anything
going from one side of you to the other, through your chest.

  Contact with a pig, that's a toughie.  Depends on what it's ballasted to.
If you have it choked down to a few mA on the primary, you'd barely get a
sting from the secondary (if anything).  Unballasted, you'd almost certainly
blow or burn off a few fingers, go flying across the garage (collecting
injuries on the way), and probably go into cardiac arrest.  There'd most
likely be lots of nerve damage, severe burns at the entry and exit points.
If you survived, you'd probably never be "quite right" after that. A
ballasted pig would probably be somewhere in the middle, but most ppl run
their pigs between 5 and 15 kva, which is well into the lethal range.

 I've been hit by a 12/30 (don't sneeze while testing a dusty tranny),
knocked me silly and probably scared me worse than it hurt me, but it's
nothing I'll try again.

 One thing to keep in mind here, is that while my pig is dangerous, the 240v
going into my contactors (before the ballast) is just as deadly, and because
it doesn't reach out to grab you, you have to grab it.  And you might not be
able to let go. The LV side of coiling, 120 or 240v, is just as dangerous.
Sorry, but I gotta make the safety statement :)
Remember, Stupid Hurts!

  Hope that helps!

Shad