Sync rotor

Original poster: "Luc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ludev-at-videotron.ca>

Hi list

Couple of month ago there was a lot of question about synchronous
motor for spark gap. Many member modified induction motor to make
them sync. Many me included want to know how a commercial rotor
look like, today I post a photo of one on the Terry web site:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/sync_rotor.jpg

This little rotor come from a teletype motor 1/40 HP 1800 RPM but
the size of the motor is around the same than a 1/4 HP motor.

The rotor is 2 1/4" wide, 2 1/8" long, it have 18 bars ( squirrel
cage ) the grove are the same wide as the distance between 2 bars
( around 3/4" ) and are around 3/16" deep in there center. Note
that the flats ( groves ) are twisted at the same angle then the
bars. I don't know if the fact that the flat are twisted help or not?

They are many kind of sinc. motor from really small like electric
clock motor using permanent magnet rotor to multi-hundred HP
motor. For people interested I put some link here:

http://oge.apogee-dot-net/pd/dmsm.htm
http://www.ekc.kth.se/comppmd/publica.html
http://www.westernelectric-dot-com.au/m_select/

One friend report to me that he saw a synchronous motor having 4
holes in the rotor parallel to the shaft just under the surface
instead of flat???

This is highly speculative but I think an universal motor could
be modified by rewiring the rotor, but it need to be try????

I hope these informations could be useful to someone.

Cheers,

Luc Benard