Re: Silly question?

Original poster: "Luc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ludev-at-videotron.ca>

Hi Matthew,

No it's not a silly question, but I could show you some reason
why most of us don't build trans. First the difficulty to find a
core and don't think about making one with steel sheet; trans.
mfg. used a special kind of alloy commonly call silicon steel not
so expensive but hard to find; they are the only one using this
stuff, the sheet received a surface treatment to make it no
conductor, this surface treatment need to resist to kind of high
temperature. If they don't build the core this way the loss are
incredibly high. An other thing; the mfg. wind there coil in a
way that the oil could circulated in it, pig are nice piece of engineering.

BUT...! But some do what you plan to do, I remember a member of
this list, a Finnish I think, he made a core, he build a form in
Plexiglas and fill it with small piece of microwave trans. core
glue together with epoxy. I don't know what was the result may be
other member have better memory than me. I'm a kink of "do it
your self" guy but for a big trans. no thanks.

Often you can find a nice core from a welding machine but the
window are to small for high voltage coil remember in a HV coil
you need a lot of insulation and this take place.

I try to find one here in Quebec Canada but no success for now
they are easy to find used in USA for around $ 300.00 to $400.00
but could you imagine the cost of shipping and I don't know about
the custom charge....

Cheers,

Luc Benard

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>