Re: Oil Caps

Tesla list wrote:

<Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com>

> Actually they are not all that big.  I have a plate-in-oil cap with stiff
> aluminum plates with about a quarter inch separation.  It is not something
> terribly convenient to cart around, but it has .005uF capacitance and I can
> only imagine about 25kVAC (more?) voltage rating.

	Good design if you can stand the space and mess.  Capacitors of this
type were used in "the good old spark days" of radio/wireless, and an
early 1920's QST magazine has a descrtion of an 0.01 ufd, 25 kV
capacitor which the builder apparently thought was a success.  Advantage
is that in the event of dielectric breakdown for any reason the oil can
be removed and filtered, the plates cleaned if necessary, and the whole
thing reassembled.  Sounds bullet proof!

Ed