Re: Doesn't running resonant also endanger the cap as well as the NST?

In a message dated 8/30/01 10:15:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

Garry,

Yes, the cap too is subjected to the higher voltage, but I don't
usually mention that because, I'm assuming that folks will use
caps that are rated for the voltage being used.  Since the value
of a resonant cap will be smaller than an LTR cap, the resonant
cap does not have to be physically larger than an LTR cap
despite a higher voltage rating.  For example if MMC's are used,
one would simply use more caps in each string, and use
fewer strings.  There is one theoretical advantage to using
a resonant cap; The tank runs at a higher voltage which should
make the gap losses lower.  I didn't see any difference in
overall spark length "efficiency" either way in my coils
however.

John Freau