Re: Buzzing xfmrs

Original poster: "Tim J by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <digital_raven45-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Buzzing xfmrs
>Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 11:45:08 -0600
>
>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><Fucian-at-aol-dot-com>
>
>Hi all, I have been experimenting with other power transformers to see if i
>can get a working plate xfmr.I have a xfmr that is 12 volts at 1.6amps. I
>took a 4.5amp variac and ran the xfmr in reverse. I can get it up to about
>40
>volts in and then it buzzesd and the output voltage refuses to go
>higher.What
>can I do to stop this?
>
>Matt
What your experiencing sounds like a case of saturation. Never run a
transformer with more voltage than what it is rated for! You will burn up
the transformer windings that way, especially on SMALL low powered
transformers.
With large MOT's, Pole Pigs, and high powered Neon XMFR's using a variac is
OK, but you still need to be careful!