Re: volts+amps

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<jim-at-jlproduction-dot-com>

>Hi all,
>I have a couple of questions that I think someone out there can clear
>up.
>What is more important to coil output volts or amps?
>In other words would a 9KV/60ma NST put out better than a 12/30 for
>example?
>(More amps being better although voltage is higher??)
>
>Also I see on some sites people mentioning "VA", what is this actually
>referring to? Volt Amps?
>For example... my pole pig puts out 4400VA.
>Would this be 4400 volts or 4400 amps or what?
>
>Thanks,
>Jim
>http://www.jlproduction-dot-com/Tesla.html
>
>BTW I am still working on a web based Tesla forum and I hope you all
>will visit it, and return often when it is all set up...

Hi Jim...

both are important equally ...

as far as VA   that is the volts times the amps    thus  a pole pig that
has 4400 VA  if it is running at 14,000 volts will have .314 amps on the
secondary side.   ( VA is kinda = to watts )
and on the other hand   if the pole pig is using 240 into the
primary.... it will draw 18 amps to produce 4400 VA. ( approximately
4400 watts)

as far as which NST is better

lets see   9000 X .060 = 540 VA
                12000 X .030 =  360VA

the 9/60 has more punch

the 9/60  will pull  about 4.5 - 5.5 amps -at- 120 V
the 12/30 will pull about 3 - 4  amps -at- 120 V

( need to throw in an extra amp or so due to the core currents in the
transformer)

Scot D

aka BunnyKiller