Re: condensors

Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Hi Joyce

> And if someone might take the time to explain, what is the difference
> between a capacitor and a condensor?

The answer to this question is about fifty years ;-)  I don't know when
the term changed, but they are one and the same.  My father called them
condensors but I was taught capacitors...

Either way, a capacitor/condensor is a device that stores electrical
charge.  In it's simplest form, it is two conductors separated by an
insulator (dielectric).

I believe (please correct me, someone) that the term "kondensator" (ie

condensor) is still used by some of our Eurpoean brethren and sestren.

I'm now trying to work out where the term condensor came from -

capacitor makes sense (something that has capacity); I wonder whether
condensor comes to us from the age of steam?

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith           |   _     ASCII Ribbon Campaign
IT Consultant           |  ( )  - No HTML/RTF in e-mail