Dual NST's solved

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jim-at-jlproduction-dot-com>

Hi all,
I just wanted to drop a line to thank all those who offered advice about
my Dual NST issues.
It seems the one had a bum leg and hence the no/low output conditions I
was experiencing.

For the record this NST fires a Jacobs ladder almost the same as my
other good NST and was why I thought it was ok. Tests on individual
leads showed this not to be the case as suggested to me by more than one
of you people.

I opened the case up at work today and found a mass of cracked tar so I
picked out a bunch of it and plugged er in. One secondary lead's wire
was badly cracked and arcing out internally. I was going to change the
lead but the fine wire that was starting to unravel changed my mind. I
wrapped it up with electrical tape and dumped in an entire tube of black
RTV to fill up what tar I took out and it seems to be fine now. I don’t
know how long she will last but I think it will be ok. I just wanted to
share my partial rebuild story and also thank all the people that lead
me in the right direction. I do a good deal of PC tech work online and
almost NEVER get an update to anything (esp if it works!!) so I wanted
to pass this one along.

Keep safe and stay "tuned",
Jim Layton
http://www.jlproduction-dot-com/Tesla.html
(My coil chronicles and online Tesla forum)