Re: flat coil ?

Original poster: "Chris Swinson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <exxos-at-cps-games.co.uk>

> > I simply input (in inches) the I.D. (0.125), the wire diameter
> > (0.063), the wire spacing (0.0034, this is the insulation
> > thickness between closewound turns ... (339 turns)
>
> Using Bart's dimensions, tssp software calculates:
>
> For center grounded, rim hot:
>
>   1/4 wave resonance: 117 kHz
>   Effective series L: 54 mH
>    Effective shunt C: 34.6 pF
>     Energy storage C: 40.0 pF
>          Max current: 135% of center terminal current,
>                       at 65% of radius
>           Max V/turn: At 85% of radius
>
> For rim grounded, center hot:
>
>   1/4 wave resonance: 149 kHz
>   Effective series L: 59 mH
>    Effective shunt C: 19.3 pF
>     Energy storage C: 26.7 pF
>          Max current: 180% of rim terminal current,
>                       at 88% of radius
>           Max V/turn: At 85% of radius
>
> Clearly, the center-hot configuration ought to make the best use
> of your primary bang energy.  In both configurations 80% of the
> voltage rise occurs over the outer 50% of the radius.
>
> Bart wrote:
> > and I for one would be interested in doing these exersizes again
> > after we know the actual dimensions.
>
> And I for two.
> --
> Paul Nicholson

Hi Paul, It may well have to be center hot as I don't think I could insulate
from the primary, but will try this when its wound. I am off to wind it now,
I just realised that I will also have to build a new primary too :-\ ,
hopefully the flat coil should be done in a few hours.  I dont think I will
be able to count the turns but will try...

Chris