Re: New Inductance Formula

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

> Inductance is defined as the flux linkages divided by the current causing
> the flux or
>
>    L = A/I
>
> Refer to page 538 the Electromagnetics Problem Solver by Dr. M. Fogiel,
> 1983, Research and Education Association.
>
> John Couture

	Not sure what A represents in your expression, but it seems to fit very
well with the definition I learned in physics class longer ago than I
want to think of.

	Inductance = flux linkages per unit current

which appears to be the same if A represents flux linkages.

> The dimensions of inductance in the MKS system are kg*m^2/coul^2.  In the SI
> system it is kg*m^2/s^2*A^2.  In the cgs system it is sec^2/cm.
>
> Dave

	If you plug the MKS and SI definitions into the formula for stored
energy (1/2 L I^2) you get the units kg * (m/s)^2, which has the right
form.  Can't do it for cgs until I consult my physics books at work.

Ed