Re: Plexiglass

Original poster: "Edward Wingate by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ewing7-at-rochester.rr-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

> Hi All,
>
>   I've used both polycarbonate and acrylic, and the arcylic machines *much*
> easier than the polycarbonate in most cases.  The acrylic usually makes
> clean cuts and smooth swarf, whereas the polycarbonate was prone to
> chipping badly and breaking off in little bits instead of
> cutting.  Drilling the polycarbonate was also a pain in the butt, as I had
> bad problems of it cracking outwards from the hole as the drill punched
> through the backside, even when drilling slow.  I may have had crap
> polycarb, so I can't say that all does that, but I had 3 different
> thicknesses do the same thing.
>
>   Hope it helps!

Sundog,

I think you have the two confused. Polycarb (Lexan) is the softer of the
two materials, machines easier and doesn't chip, crack or split. Acrylic
(Plexiglass) is the one that chips, cracks and splits because it's very
brittle.

Ed Wingate RATCB